Coastal Management and Monitoring Network for tackling marine litter in the Mediterranean Sea
// COMMON //
September 2019 - September 2022
Learn more: http://www.enicbcmed.eu/projects/common
COMMON project aims at applying ICZM principles to the marine litter management, improving the environmental performance of 5 pilot coastal areas in Italy (2), Tunisia (2) and Lebanon (1), testing a model that could be transferred to the whole Mediterranean area. Through a better knowledge of the marine litter phenomenon, specific training and capacity building activities addressed to local and regional authorities, MPAs, Turtles Rescue Centres and citizens, thematic awareness-raising campaign and information material, targeted networking activities at basin level, COMMON project will involve local communities in the integration of marine litter management and disposal in coastal planning with the ICZM approach.
Apply ICZM principles to the marine litter management in 5 pilot coastal areas through a local coordination and the Mediterranean networking among different stakeholders.
Enhance the capacity of public authorities in 5 pilot areas to plan the sustainable management, use and monitoring of marine litter sources, treatment and consequences, employing an effective participatory approach involving stakeholders and local communities. Testing an integrated strategy for marine litter management and disposal at coastal level that could be transferred to the whole Mediterranean area.Building multi-stakeholder networks at basin-level for tackling marine litter in a coordinated and integrated manner.
- Trainings, workshops and meetings.
- Awareness campaigns, clean-up days.
- Marine litter sampling on fish species.
- Network building for Sea Turtle Rescue Centres.
- Monitoring marine litter impact in the 5 pilot areas.
- Ecotoxicological analysis on edible marine species.
Source of funding : ENI CBCMED
Total budget : 2 223 421,00 €
- Amwaj of the Environment - Lebanon
- Legambiente - Onlus - Italy
- Institut National des Sciences et Technologies de la Mer - Tunisia
- Università di Siena - Italy
- Tyre Coast Nature Reserve - Lebanon
- High Institute of Agronomy of Sousse University - Tunisia
CAPMED & SDGDownload the CAPMED