Tirana, Albania, Tuesday 27 June 2023
- Mrs. Frida Krifca, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development of Albania and CIHEAM President, and Mr. Teodoro Miano, CIHEAM Secretary General, attended the meeting during which a dozen of Universities and Institutions -CIHEAM Bari included- signed an MoU for international cooperation and innovation in learning, research, and technology transfer in Italy, Albania, and Cyprus.
- The partnership aims to foster collaboration among universities, research institutions, and the private sector, promoting the integration of higher education with the social and economic systems of the involved regions.
- This strong instrument will create a thriving ecosystem that empowers young talents, enhances business competitiveness, and drives regional development.
27 June 2023, Tirana (Albania) - The CIHEAM is pleased to announce the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between CIHEAM Bari, the Aldo Moro University of Bari, the Agricultural University of Tirana, Aleksander Moisiu University, the University of Vlora “Ismail Qemali”, Fan S. Noli University, The University of Tirana, Polytechnic University of Tirana, IT Production District, The High Tech Technological District, and Cyprus University of Technology.
Aiming at promoting international cooperation and innovation in the areas of learning, research, and technology transfer, this significant partnership will serve as a catalyst for joint initiatives in education and entrepreneurship in Italy, Albania, and Cyprus. Under the MoU, the Parties affirmed their shared goals in fostering collaboration among universities, research institutions, and the private sector. By leveraging their respective strengths and expertise, the Parties seek to establish a thriving ecosystem that empowers young talents, enhances business competitiveness, and drives regional development.
The key objectives of the partnership are:
- Pursuit of common goals in learning, research, and technology transfer, serving as the foundation for collaborative efforts.
- International cooperation and innovation aiming at the promotion of the "Third Mission" – the integration of higher education institutions with the social and economic systems of the territory
- Joint training, research, and entrepreneurship initiatives, emphasizing their commitment to regional development.
The cooperation among the Parties will be developed primarily through students’ mobility, internships, joint Ph.D. courses, double degrees, innovation hubs, staff training, project development, and academic programs and research.
“It is a great opportunity for our young generation to foster excellence in the development of the agricultural sector. CIHEAM Bari and our students have done a great job in achieving this”, Mrs. Krifca said after the signature.
Mr. Miano underlined that “in a historical moment of severe and dramatic environmental, productive, demographic, socio-economic and cultural changes, only a tireless and solid effort in building an enlarged and multi-stakeholder community will be able to face challenges and achieve future goals in the Mediterranean”.
The partnership stems from the successful implementation of the Erasmus TTO4FOOD Project, which has demonstrated the strategic value of technology transfer offices (TTOs) in strengthening the "Third Mission" of universities.
By enhancing services such as creating spin-offs and startups, patenting, and fostering university-industry collaboration, the project has empowered young talents and bolstered regional resilience.
The collaboration network formed by six universities, CIHEAM Bari, two digital business districts, and the chamber of commerce will serve as a foundation for future development activities, promoting international cooperation and knowledge sharing.