CIHEAM Ministerial Meetings
The CIHEAM organized the first agriculture Ministerial meeting of its 13 member countries in 1999.
The aim was to establish a sustainable dialogue between Mediterranean countries on agricultural, food and rural issues and foster a common approach. These biennial ministerial meetings provide space for discussion and their strategic dimension is enhanced by the participation of major international organizations active in the region.
Previous CIHEAM Ministerial meetings
Ministerial meeting 2016, Tirana on " Distress Migration: Agriculture and Rural Development Can Help"
The 11th meeting of the Ministers of Agriculture of the CIHEAM member States took place in Tirana (Albania) on 22 September 2016. The meeting enabled:
- Discussions on migration from the point of view of agricultural development and food security. Faced with the current refugee crisis, root causes of migration and future trends must be considered in order to identify possible solutions in the field of agriculture, rural development and food security in the Mediterranean.
- The presentation of the CIHEAM Strategic Agenda 2025, structured around 4 pillars, divided into 15 thematic priorities.This Agenda aims to prioritise the CIHEAM activities to better address the current regional challenges, promote the Mediterranean dimension of the Post-2015 Global Agenda, mobilise additional funding sources, enhance cooperation, and strengthen institutional synergies.
CIHEAM Ministerial meetings from 1999 to 2014
- 2014 - Algiers, Algeria (Sustainable Food Security and Prospects for the Future)
- 2012 - Valetta, Malta (Food Security and Price Volatility in the Mediterranean Countries)
- 2010 - Istanbul, Turkey (Climate Change and Adaptation)
- 2008 - Zaragoza, Spain (Management of Fisheries and Water Resources)
- 2006 - Cairo, Egypt (Sustainable Development and Agricultural Products in the Mediterranean region)
- 2004 - Paris, France (Trade Growth and Development Policies)
- 2002 - Beirut, Lebanon (Cooperation and Agricultural Relations in the Mediterranean region)
- 2001 - Athens, Greece (Cooperation and the Mediterranean diet)
- 2000 - Rabat, Morocco (Coordination of the Mediterranean Countries' Development Policies)
- 1999 - Rome, Italy (Initiating Institutional Mediterranean Relations among the CIHEAM Member States)